Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Passion

Well, here's to a more detailed post about STC @ Camp Resilience. Daring. Spirited. Passionate. I guess these 3 words that Gregory Sir said on the first day really spurred me on through the camp. With these 3 words applying to basically every activity in STC, I couldn't help but to keep thinking about those 3 words. Daring to overcome my fears, to be spirited by encouraging my group mates, and to be passionate about learning new things.

My last camp @ Pulau Ubin was short, yet it was long. The days passed quickly, but the things that I learnt definitely wasn't little. Honestly speaking, the camp wasn't what I expected it to be due to past year's experience with Area 5 ATC. However, I've learnt things that I didn't expect to learn through this camp.

From the scoldings during normal assemblies, to the jetty jump, to the fire-starting, to the shelter building, to the treasure hunt, to the area clean up, all these were valuable experiences that I've learnt.

Remembering the times that the CIs had to keep on reminding us, the hard way, not to fidget during flag raising or any activities, and how they cared for us if we were feeling unwell, I then realised that there is always a need to scold but only when necessary. I do not blame the CIs for scolding and raising their voice on us when they needed to, because some people, no matter how nicely you told them to do things, would never do anything. The only way you can get them to do stuff is by scaring them.

During the Jetty Jump, I did not have any problem in mustering courage to plunge down into the waters, however what did inspire me was how one of my groupmates who was so afraid of water managed to do it. She wanted to be the last to take the jump, yet she took enough courage into stepping onto the plank, and eventually jumping down into her deepest fear. But in the end, it was still those 3 words which really mattered. Daring. Spirited. Passionate. Those 3 words spurred her onto jumping into the sea, and to conquer her fears.

In the treasure hunt, no doubt the sun was scorching hot and the trek was very long. All of us endured. We made it in the end, as champions. Not only literally champions, but also champions in our hearts. Till now I still wondered how I managed to finish trekking that torturous route that we had to take. Maybe he was right, it was not the camp that had changed him, it was the people around him that had changed him. Having awesome group mates was actually a bonus to this camp, as I had actually expected to just stick to my friends then. But this team which I'm in, bonded together so quickly that even I was surprised. We had totally no arguments and I'm glad to say everybody was cooperative. What mattered was those 3 words again, Daring. Spirited. Passionate.

I will definitely remember the times where we put in our best, and also the times which we didn't. We disappointed not only our group CI, but ourselves. Not being able to adhere to the timing that was given to us, we were late. A privilege that was given to us but we did not treasure. However, we managed to redeem ourselves during the future activities. That was what mattered, that we put in our best after that, to redeem ourselves.

I will also remember the 17 people that were together with me for the 3 days. It is those people that helped me to endure and to encourage me. Over the 3 days, 18 strangers came together and were known as a group, put in their best for the team, and eventually became a great team. We were thrown, not in the most satisfactory conditions to live in, but we still managed to bring out the best in everybody.

As we sat together for the final group debrief, everybody knew that it was time to move on. It was quite an emotional debrief, because after the debrief, everyone would be moving on to their own directions, back to their own units, leading their own mediocre lives. Each and every one of the group members aspired me to become better, and it was definitely my honour to be able to be in the group. Because we will always be daring to try, spirited in our heart, passionate to learn. May the passion burn on!


STC 2009 Group 3 - Cepheus

No comments:

Post a Comment